Yippee! Hooray! Besides the heart-shaped donut awaiting me at work, I found another wonderful surprise that the lovely Lydia from Cluttered Genius honored me with a Liebster Award this morning. How cool is that? Well, I’ll tell ya…it’s my first blog award and it’s always nice to know someone is thinking of you. It’s also a chance to share a little bit more about myself and share with you some of my favorite bloggers to whom I pass the award. So here are the rules, plain and simple….
Someone chooses you.
You tell 11 things about yourself.
You answer 11 questions.
You choose 11 bloggers and ask 11 questions that they’ll answer.
Got it? Great! Here we goooo…(in my best Peter Pan voice)
11 Things about Me
1. I’ve discussed this with Kiran at Masala Chica but I never know how to answer the question “Where are you from?” My ancestry, where I grew up or where I live now? I’m mistaken for Hispanic quite often. My family is from India and my husband’s family is from Mexico. We are lucky to be from cultures with vibrant colors, delicious food, strong values and warm people. A world apart geographically but amazing similarities. My Midwestern upbringing explains why I still root for Cleveland teams and my slight drawl and love for sweet tea is from living in the South for more than half my life now.
2. I am the child of avid readers but disliked reading as a kid. My dream job right now would be to get paid to read.
3. Former dream jobs have included doctor, vet, broadcast journalist, pianist and starting a non-profit.
4. I couldn’t wait for when my babies could walk and talk. Now, I just want them to sit still (at least for a little bit) and be (fairly) quiet.
5. The box labeled “Tanya’s Unfinished Projects” in our garage from our move is still unopened. I wonder what’s in there? I haven’t needed it in 10 years yet I won’t part with its contents before peeking inside.
6. I am seriously addicted to collecting recipes and taking pictures of food for my blog and family. Then Laura at Super Sweet Life recommended taking pictures of clipped recipes to reference them easily. Genius! Reference #4, I can’t just throw away the recipes I’ve clipped but haven’t used. I might need it…someday.
7. I love to plan, it’s following through with my crazy plans that’s the problem. Case in point…my kids’ birthday parties, that pumpkin bowling idea was better in my head than when a bunch of 5 year olds are hurtling pumpkins across the floor…”Roll it please…” became “ROLL it or we won’t get that security deposit back!”
8. I’ve only ever asked out one boy in my life. I stuttered asking him to my college semi-formal and was too overcome with emotion to respond when he asked me to marry him three years later. He won’t let me live either of those down.
9. As the mom of 3 boys and my love for food, I can eat no matter the topic of dinner conversation or the accompanying “music.”
10. Being diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis has both been a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it forces me to focus on the positive things in my life and a curse, well, because it hurts.
11. Of all the projects I’ve started and haven’t finished, I’m proud to say I’m still blogging after a year. I love connecting with other bloggers and sharing my experiences and hobbies with others who share a common interest. It makes the overwhelmingly large world just a little smaller every time you stop by and comment. So my sincere thanks to you for visiting, reading and commenting!
My Answers to Lydia’s 11 Questions
1. Who do you look up to most? Why?
It may be cliche to say my parents but yes, my parents. They are Indian immigrants, came to America with nothing. educated themselves and worked hard to provide every advantage to me as a kid. I am forever grateful. They raised me with their family and support half a world away. I can’t imagine living that far from them. Luckily, I don’t have to.
2. Do you watch reality shows? If you do, which is your favorite? If you don’t, why?
The only reality shows I used to watch were So You Think You Can Dance and American Idol. I don’t like watching reality drama. I have enough drama to want to watch other people’s drama. Lately though, I have been enjoying reading so much I hardly watch TV.
3. What is your favorite book of all time?
Seriously? I can’t pick just one. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Persuasion and Midwife’s Confession are my top 3 at the moment.
4. Favorite band of all time?
Hmmm….thats a tough one too. U2, Depeche Mode, INXS, Daughtry, Lifehouse, Five for Fighting have all been favorites. And yes, I used to like the Backstreet Boys, but I wasn’t such a fan that I could tell you their names.
5. If you had to pick a song that best described you, what would it be?
100 Years by Five for Fighting
6. What is your biggest fear?
Losing my kids. Too many parents have kids that are gravely ill or have passed away. Devastating.
7. Night owl or early bird?
Night owl. Unfortunately, the kids are early birds. Not a great combination in the mornings.
8. If you’re willing to share, what’s your most embarrassing moment?
I have a weak cervix and needed a cerclage (stitch) to close my cervix in order to carry each of my 3 kids to term. Each surgery required me to have my legs suspended from stirrups in the air with all my womanly glory exposed to the room of doctors and nurses. Oh yea, did I mention I work at the hospital where my OB delivers? Lovely running into your OB in the cafeteria.
9. Cats or dogs?
Dogs. Sweet dogs. We just lost our last doggie and house just isn’t the same without the friendly, loving presence of our dogs.
10. When you have nothing else to do, what do you find yourself doing?
Blogging…or reading…or planning to blog…or planning what to read…
11. What’s a talent you wish you had?
Singing. I love to sing just wish I had stage presence and self-confidence and yea, a good voice would help.
My 11 Questions for Awarded Bloggers
1. If you could travel to anywhere in the world, where would you go?
2. What is your favorite book?
3. If you could be a cartoon character, who would you want to be?
4. Would you pick Monica, Phoebe or Rachel for your best Friend? Why?
5. What is your favorite meal? Feel free to share a link 🙂
6. What is the strangest or funnest thing you’ve done on a date? Keep it clean, people!
7. Share a funny joke or favorite inspirational quote.
8. What do you like to do when you have “me” time? Or what would you do with a free couple of hours?
9. Which blog(s) do you love to stalk?
10. If you were a superhero, what superpower would you have?
And the Award Goes To...
Thankful for the support and comraderie of these bloggers.
Lisa at The Dose of Reality
Andrea at Good Girl Gone Redneck
Allison at The Book Wheel
Rebecca at Love at First Book
Kim at Little by Little Blog
Kiran at Masala Chica
Kara at The Joys of Boys
Ramona at Create With Joy
Michelle at The True Book Addict
Kristen at The Preppy Girl in Pink
Shell at Things I Can’t Say
Please take a minute to visit these fabulous blogs and give them some extra love for Valentine’s Day. Thanks again to Lydia at Cluttered Genius for bestowing this award on me! It’s been fun and strangely difficult figuring out what to tell you more about me.